Ohio Volunteer Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My attempt at perfection

4 posters

Go down

My attempt at perfection Empty My attempt at perfection

Post  Ido February 11th 2012, 7:32 pm

Also, partly curious if anyone is still alive out there. Smile

My attempt at perfection L
Ido
Ido
Staff Sgt.
Staff Sgt.

Back to top Go down

My attempt at perfection Empty Re: My attempt at perfection

Post  Josh.0 February 12th 2012, 9:21 am

We are here Ido, sorry bout not being present much. All of us are busy working on the club Mini-Mag and other projects. I log on daily to check the forums still but if I don't see any new posts I'm right back off. When I saw a new post I was like Very Happy Is there any way you can enlarge this? Looks awesome from what I could read!
Josh.0
Josh.0
Captain
Captain

http://www.ovgminigaming.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ido February 12th 2012, 8:41 pm

We'll try this from photobucket instead of myspace..

My attempt at perfection PikePrimary
Ido
Ido
Staff Sgt.
Staff Sgt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spectre February 13th 2012, 10:41 pm

Just curious, what rules were used to determine BV? Also I see you listed tech level "2", are you using a version of the BMR for this. It looks ok at a quick glance, but I did not see any blanks in crits....overall I dont know if this is a "legal" design. Not questioning your honesty, just what rules you used. I really dont have time to check it against the "Technical Manual" but it seems a bit "OP", like you have too much stuff (even on 100 tonner)..I'll give it a closer look in a couple of days, but if it does turn out to be legal...LOOKS GOOD! Cool

ps- Tech Levels have not been used for a while, thats why I am wondering what rulebook you used. (Tech levels were used up until the last "BMR", they were dropped at the time of "Total Warfare". Also Battle Value gets a bit muddled due to rule adjustments there are actually BV, BV1, BV2, and BV2.5. They are usually close to each other points wise but not always. The Battle Value was originally intended to aid in game balance, but due to some odd rules and rulebook differences it all gets a bit wierd. The end all be all book for Mech design (as far as construction rules are concerned) is The Tech Manual. Some online software uses older rule versions and is not accurate. This "ps" is just to give a little heads-up on custom mechs, not intended to be a judgement on your design!! Also this message will self destruct in 3........2..........1.........

affraid
Spectre
Spectre
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Back to top Go down

My attempt at perfection Empty ok

Post  Spectre February 13th 2012, 11:18 pm

Total armor factor for your design is 298....weaps look good, xl engine...looks legal. It seems a bit of a min/maxer, and although I am not a fan of the Clans I would say solid design Exclamation
Now, get outta that Clan bucket and ride a Stinger into battle with your legs on fire like a real man!!! Laughing

PewPew
Spectre
Spectre
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Back to top Go down

Post  Ido February 13th 2012, 11:34 pm

It was made using the drawing board, an online program located at P.R.I. I use it specifically because it's able to save the sheet in a format that is compatible with Megamek. I'm honestly not even sure what you mean by BMR. Some readout?

I think there is some slight discrepancy in the total number of armor points awarded for the tonnage allocated. When I saved it to Megamek to test drive it, it listed out illegal. I looked up that issue on their forums and i guess the rules have changed slightly from rounding up to rounding down when figuring that out. Also, Megamek reads the BV to be 3068 before computing pilot's skills. (I have no idea how to calculate BV)

It really does have no unused crit slots. was an experiment to specifically to try and meek out every drop of usefulness i could. and I've always loved the idea of mixing pulse lasers with a TC, makes a HUGE difference.

Not something I intend to actually play with, just goofing off, seeing what could be done. =D
Ido
Ido
Staff Sgt.
Staff Sgt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spectre February 14th 2012, 2:22 pm

The total armor factor is legal, but there is too much per slot/per internal structure. The "BMR" is short for "Battletech Master Rules", the book "Total Warfare" replaced. I like your idea too, but current rules would not allow it for play. It really would not take too many changes to keep your "concept" and make it legal, most of the issues I saw would be the armor. I would love to help and show you a legal version of this, but right now I am extremely busy. If you could give me a week or two I will try and work it out for you, but in the time your are waiting for me you should track down the Techmanual. Then you would have all the rules you would need to adjust your Mech. Most of the adjustments were done to "nerf" the Clantech (a little), and bring a bit more balance between Clan and Inner Sphere technologies. I hope this helps in your quest for "perfection" Very Happy , I would like to see this made legal ( I plan on doing a Solaris 7 contest at the end of our normal campaign and think your mech would be cool for it)! Cool
Spectre
Spectre
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Back to top Go down

Post  Ido February 14th 2012, 9:06 pm

Just checked, I actually do have access to Total Warfare. I'll read up on it tomorrow, today being valentines and all.
Ido
Ido
Staff Sgt.
Staff Sgt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ido February 15th 2012, 10:38 pm

Alrighty. Just got done pencil scratching and checking the design. I used This Techmanual (after spending about 30 minutes trying to find the construction rules in Total Warefare Laughing ) and the only issue I could find was the same issue Megamek had indicated. with 15.5 tons of clan FF armor, you get a total of 297.6 points. the program I used rounded up to 298, the rule book says to round down to 297. The below sheet has this correction. As far as allowable points per slot, the rules stated you're allowed 2x the # of points of internal structure. I triple checked myself and it looks like i'm clear there.

is the version of the Techmanual I'm using out of date maybe?

My attempt at perfection PikePrimary-1
Ido
Ido
Staff Sgt.
Staff Sgt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spectre February 16th 2012, 9:25 pm

Hey, just a thought there Big Joe....I know you did not want any wasted space but it seems to me by filling all possible crit slots you are really leaving this thing open to "the golden bb". Think of it this way, EVERY time you take a critical hit you WILL damage something. A couple of good crits, and this thing could be taken out quite quickly (just my humble opinion, only playing it can really confirm).
As far as legal issues, I have not really had a chance myself to "build it" using the Techmanual so I will take your word for it. Skimming over it, it looks good to me! Cool I think when I first looked it over I was kind of tired..and yes you are correct about the armor. WOW 1pt of armor off and I find it!! (what a stickler I am!) I think I may have had a case of Clan-itus!! Every time I see a Clan design I want it to DIE!!! Mu-Ha-HAA!! :twisted: sorry Ido!! Smile

ps- when I have time I will post what I tried to do along the same lines (years ago) as your "perfect mech". Oh, one more thought what era would your Mech be perfect for? I always tried to build customs for specific era's and was just wondering if you had one in mind with this. Fun read by the way!! Take care!!
Spectre
Spectre
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Back to top Go down

Post  Ido February 16th 2012, 10:16 pm

actually (again, back to Megamek) every time it seems like the first thing to go is a heat sink. which is actually perfect because it can normally run and fire everything and still have 2 heat points to go before it starts overheating, so it's not like anything is actually lost. and when a laser is hit, i liken it to

My attempt at perfection 2w726bq

cause he's still got 4 other lasers that are in (likely) still armored sections. Even a hit on the TC isn't such a big deal since it's only there for the -1 to hit. they're pulse lasers.

If i had to date it, i'd probably say 3050's. I can't stand the Jihad/dark age stuff.
Ido
Ido
Staff Sgt.
Staff Sgt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Minilano April 3rd 2012, 8:22 pm

I really like your design. Seems solid. Nice work! Smile
Minilano
Minilano
Private 2nd Class
Private 2nd Class