Ohio Volunteer Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was it worth the wait?

2 posters

Go down

Was it worth the wait? Empty Was it worth the wait?

Post  Spectre May 12th 2011, 3:52 am

A Time of War(the Battletech RPG) was a long time coming, after many delays it was finally released the begining of this year. I procured my copy towards the end of February and although we are almost in June I just had a chance the last couple of weeks to give it a read. Now I have to tell you I'm no expert, and when it comes to new rulebooks I like to read them several times through to get a good grasp on the material but THERE'S ALOT IN THERE! This is another monster of a core book and this thing is packed with more details and odds n' ends then you could shake a gauss-rifle at!(nice big stick reference, right?) Anyway, moving on.. I think the Mechwarrior Rules(the old B-Tech RPG) had a few minor issues but overall was a good system. The influences of that and MANY other sourcebooks is evident in ATOW, now on one hand I think thats a good thing; but on the other I see where in an attempt to condense 20+ years of Battletech fiction and source material into one book(One Book to Rule them All!) I think that Catalyst may have over-did it. Now to be totally fair this book, like all others produced by Catalyst is TOP NOTCH in every way i.e., full color, hard bound, glossy pages, nice art, etc. Also as I stated earlier I have only read it a couple of times and really cant pass judgement on if its better than Mechwarrior 3rd ed or not until I PLAY IT!! Overall I am quite impressed and cant blame Catalyst for the delays of this or any other product that have produced for the Battletech Universe. They have a knack for making top-quality products and for me anyway justifies any delays.(Catalyst doesnt just crap in a shiny cover to make a buck!) It is nice to see a game publisher that cares as much as I do about this game. I really look forward to adding some of the RPG elements from this book and weaving them into the campaign this year. As a final thought this is not a review, just a couple of quick thoughts on the new B-tech RPG! Please feel free to share what you think, and Members of the OVG just a quick heads up...I will discuss ATOW in more depth during our first training session in August and for anyone interested in gamemastering LET ME KNOW!! I'm thinking maybe running a side campaign for the RPG players. HAPPY GAMING!
-Spectre
Spectre
Spectre
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Back to top Go down

Was it worth the wait? Empty Reading ATOW

Post  Josh.0 May 31st 2011, 12:49 am

I just acquired this book today so I have only read the first 100 or so pages and quite a few of those were skimmed through but what I have read I have really enjoyed, in fact I have a jotted down some ideas I have for a warrior I want to create! Given free reign (and I may just do it for fun anyway lol) I would have created my whole story line from birth to present day tonight! I went headstrong into deep thought as I read from the pages of Character Creation to the point that I realized I wasn't reading anymore but just looking at the words and had just hashed out the first 15 years of a character! So I guess what I am saying is that just the little I have read so far has been inspiring and I will finish reading. I think this will be a great addition to the campaign and look forward to using it.

A little something from the book that caught my eye. :P

GREGARIOUS [CHARACTER]
Trait Type [TP Score]: Positive, Opposed [+1 TP]
“Janos, you sly dog! Come over here! I want you to meet my new
friends! We’re going to start a mercenary company together, and I
think you’d be perfect for the command lance!”
Josh.0
Josh.0
Captain
Captain

http://www.ovgminigaming.webs.com

Back to top Go down